Okay, so all of you know that I was born with this deeply-embedded love for my country and for conservatism. But at the same time, I could never go into politics because the lack of justice in this country frustrates me to no end. Anyway, I made a choice last week to change my Facebook profile status to: "Jasmine Talbot is grateful for the Court's decision in California. Way to uphold the majority's vote on Prop 8!" It was my personal wall and I was happy about it. Obviously, a few of my liberal friends weren't. Here are the responses:
FIRST RESPONSE: "For the long term advancement of gay rights, I think it's probably best that the Court upheld the vote on Prop 8. I think overturning it would have only hurt the advancement of equality and human rights, particularly at a time when the tide is clearly turning against bigotry. Still, sad to think that California will be one of the last states in the country clinging to segregation-style policies. Interesting, though, that the court upheld all the marriages that took place before Prop 8 passed. It comforts me to think that those people still get to be afforded the dignity of marriage since my marriage is so important to me."
MY RESPONSE: Hmm...interesting. I guess we have different definitions about "bigotry." Most people I know that are against gay marriage are against it because it is immoral, not because they hate gays and don't want them to have rights. Unfortunately, those who are pro-gay rights always accuse us of "bigotry." It seems like the tide has turned to try and support and give special rights to all minorities and the majority is being discriminated against. The courts will do whatever they can to please the one, instead of turning to common sense. People are tired of it, and I hope the rest of the U.S. decides to take a stand and stick up for morality like the citizens of California. I'm tired of the minority being catered to because they scream louder than the majority who sits back and does nothing.
ANOTHER PERSON'S RESPONSE: It's not "merely" a matter of giving the minority rights,though. It's a matter of recognizing love as equal, people as equal. which apparently california isn't ready to do yet. what a shame.
MY RESPONSE: I think I'll begin believing in "equal rights" and "equal love" when the minority stops discriminating against those who believe in God and Jesus Christ and wish to express that kind of love. Nativity scenes, veteran crosses, patriotism, public prayers, Christmas carols, God's name in the "Pledge of Allegiance," and children who wish to wear crosses to public schools. How do those things hurt the minority? What makes the minority so angry to see THOSE kinds of expressions of LOVE? Do those things really do more harm than growing up in a society where gay practice is publicaly displayed for all adults and children to see? Obviously the minority thinks so. Apparently God and Jesus Christ have becomre more offensive than homosexuality. This society has become so twisted. When the minority decides to stop viciously fighting to take away my inalienable right to worship the God that founded this country and to worship and love Him by public expression, when it decides to stop discriminating against morality and Christianity, and when the minority begins to recognize and accept the fact that the majority has just as many equal rights to believe and EXPRESS what they wish, then maybe I'll start thinking differently about gay marriage. Until then...thank God the majority still has common sense...long live democracy...and God bless America!"
lol, so there's Jasmine's highlight of the week for you. I find it horribly symbolic though that I have 379 friends on Facebook, and most of them share my same principles and beliefs. But interesting that the only people who said anything was the MINORITY. Once again proving that they insist upon making their voices heard, while the other 377 keep quiet. That's so sad to me. On a more ominous, but perhaps positive note? Bridge found an amazing scripture that is pretty much a prophecy about this. I'll let him share it.
1 comment:
Jasmine, I thought your thoughts were absolutely amazing and inspired. The way you explained your view each time was so inspired and so extraordinarily put. I am so proud!
Post a Comment