Jul 15, 2009

Peep! (Once Again)

Sorry its been a while. What has happened? I hiked squaw peak, one of my hardest hikes ever so far. You start up rock canyon for a good long while, and after crossing 5 bridges, you'll come up to a narrow turn off, which slowly leads up for a good while, to a 3-mile long hill that's like this steep: /. And it was muddy. You gain about 6,000 feet with a trail that has only one zig-zag. However, there were two huge fields, one with grass, and another tons and tons of yellow flowers. It was really pretty. We eventually reached the very top of squaw peak. I was able to call home and say hi. After that, we played with dry ice. Without gloves....but anyway. On the week of the 21st through the 27th, I went to Maple Dell scout camp. The first day, we unpacked, were given a tour, and.........dn dn dnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn............... did our swim checks in the lake. That water was just about 45 degrees. Everyone in my patrol that jumped in, including me, and even those who are really good swimmers, all came up from the water in a huge panic. We had to swim 75yds with any stroke other than the back stroke, then 25yds with the elementary back stroke. I jumped in and came up panicking like crazy. 45 degree lake water had rushed up my nose, and I had swallowed some. Bleagh. After about 10 seconds of doggie-paddling in a panic, I started swimming. I ended up swimming about 7/8ths of the 100, before I practically went crazy. Eventually the lifeguards had to pull me out. Sigh. I didn't pass. So Bro. Goats signed me up for a beginner swimming class. The various days I worked on the Merit Badges I signed up for, along with the beginning swimming class. Eventually after one day of only making it half-way, another of not even trying, finally on Thursday I passed. I couldn't have done it without my friends, though. Derek and Duncan swam along with me, and Hayden, Collin, and Caleb were on shore cheering me on. Even Joey, who is usually very tuff and cold, who nobody even tries to upset, congratulated me back at camp. They're all so awesome. I was also able to finish every Merit Badge I signed up for: Geology, Mammal Study, and.......
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Sigh. Maple Dell was so much fun. The next week I got a break. The week after that I went to Timberline. Although me and my church friends were separated, we got together for a campfire where we sang "Star Trecking Across the Universe," which was a huge success.

Well, that's it!

No comments: